Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Challenge to Myself

Everybody is talking about Christmas in July and how they are starting to work on their Christmas cards. My need for Christmas cards is very limited and will not be a daunting task to accomplish. But then it occurred to me that I need to substitute Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) and Hannukah for Christmas in July. So in anticipation of making Rosh Hashanah and Hannukah cards, I started searching for paper and embellishments. I googled Jewish scrapbooking supplies ('cause you certainly can't find any here in LR, AR). Well let me tell you, all the sites have the same pitiful selection of paper -- none of which excited me. I also thought $1.25 and up for one sheet of paper was just a little bit much. I did find a couple of sites with rubber stamps but once again kind of ho hum. But I did order a few die cuts from www.one800dreidel.com but they're not really anything to stand up and shout about.


So my challenge to myself is to see how creative I can get making Rosh Hashanah and Hannukah cards with the supplies that I have on hand or that I can get locally (I will definitely have to get more blue paper for Hannukah cards). I also took stock of the few Jewish themed rubber stamps that I have and checked to see if I have any stickers that might be appropriate.


Since Rosh Hashanah is September 30th, I will concentrate on those cards first. I perused online greeting cards for layout and sentiment ideas. In looking through my paper, I found that my K & Company Urban Rhapsody pad of designer paper has designs that would be beautiful for Rosh Hashanah cards. All this being said, here is my first Rosh Hashanah card.


The paper is from the K & Company Urban Rhapsoday pad of designer paper. I did the sentiment on the computer and printed it on white parchment paper. Since the background paper has a slight distressed look to it, used a small foam paint brush to distress the parchment paper with Tea Leaf Distress Ink. I also inked the edges of the card. I added grosgrain ribbon and a sticker of doves that I found in my stash.


Luck, love and laughter,

Judy

P. S. If you see any scrapbooking paper with Stars of David, Menorahs, or Dreidels in your favorite scrapbooking supply haunts, please let me know.

5 comments:

My Paper World said...

I love your card Judy! It's very beautiful! xx

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Nice card! I love it! I don't recall ever seeing paper or embellishments with the themes you're looking for . . . I'll keep my eyes open!

Lucy Filet said...

I have several magazines from way back that featured Jewish holidays. I'll have a look back and see what they were using.

Also, www.addictedtoscrapbooking.com has a small selection of stamps and papers. The papers didn't look all that fabulous, but some of the stamps were cute.

Amy said...

Thanks for the "thinking of you" card Judy and Love your card...I'll keep my eyes peeled for you..Take care!

Deb Wood said...

Both of these cards are beautiful for some reason the 1st card in the last post isn't loading, but I'm sure it's just as wonderful!!